Muriel Sheldon, Looking Back
25 years ago — 1988
The response to the second annual Sno-Pitch tournament has far exceeded expectations. What originally started out as a 16-team tourney has ballooned to 30 teams and two divisions.
A proposal by Mackenzie-Malo Housing Service Ltd., of London, could see roughly 30 townhouses constructed in the town’s west end, in the Ann Street area.
Recently, the St. Marys Hospital Auxiliary made a part payment of their commitment toward the cost of ultrasound equipment for the hospital. The equipment was purchased in 1986 for $55,000.
50 years ago — 1963
The executive of the St. Marys Golf Club Ltd. informed the Journal Argus this week that the St. Marys Curling Rink and Clubhouse, east of town, is definitely going ahead. Dr. M.H. Humphry said the building will be commenced in the spring.
Two Grade 5 pupils, Ann Fuller from the Uniondale School and Jack Conn from the Wildwood School, represented their schools at the contest held recently at the A.J. Baker School in Kintore. These two young people very kindly consented to repeat their speeches at the Uniondale Women’s Institute meeting. Ann spoke on Ontario’s Powerful Rivers and Jack’s subject was Electricity, the Family Servant. (Uniondale)
75 years ago — 1938
Local Newspaper Dates Back to 1852: It was 85 years ago, the week of January, 1852, that St. Marys’ first newspaper, The Journal, was founded. The Argus followed shortly afterward. For a time, the Journal faded out but was re-established after a few months.
Ralph Gordon, the poet and entertainer, has started with this issue of the Journal Argus to supply a weekly poem.
A meeting was held in S.S. No. 10 schoolhouse for the purpose of having hydro installed. It was voted in favour by 17-6. Other business concerning the coming Old Boys’ Reunion in July was then discussed. (Cherry Grove)
Police Chief J.S. McArthur has a grievance: He claims he has good reason for it. The trouble is that there are quite a few car and truck drivers who seem to be blind to the fact that there are Stop signs in St. Marys, especially on intersections in the downtown area. The Chief claims that these drivers often fail to halt their vehicles at these corners and, therefore, endanger pedestrians.
The Coronation Creamery, established a couple of years ago by Herb Sparling and which, within the past year has enlarged for the making of cheese, is a very busy spot these days.
100 years ago — 1913
New CPR Station: Work will commence shortly on the new CPR station where the company’s freight shed and Mr. Geo Hayes’ residence at present now stands. It will be built of brick and stone, and will cost in the neighbourhood of $10,000. The new station will be up-to-date in every respect, and will be one of the finest in architecture of any in Ontario.
The CPR has disposed of the blacksmith shop, which is at present occupied by Mr. Peter Bradshaw, to O’Brien Bros., who will move it to their lot on Water Street North, next to Connelly’s shed.
In Saturday’s Globe was published a list of winners and runners-up in the Ontario Tankard series since 1875. In that list, St. Marys occupied a prominent portion. They were in the final round of lanes more than any other club competing, but only once did they land the silverware — in 1884, when they trimmed Orillia.
In Carter and Creighton’s full-page announcement: We carry a complete range of Men’s High Class Furnishing, from a pair of overalls to a Silk Hat, at the RIGHT PRICE.
A well-known London wholesale merchant, in an interview, strongly advocated the scheme of a hydro-electric railway between London, St. Marys, Stratford and Berlin. “The steam railways are working in the interest of Toronto and against London,” he said. “Every time they change a timetable, they arrange it so as to suit the merchants and businesspeople of Toronto. A radical line would change that. That a line between London and St. Marys would be a paying investment from the start is regarded as certain. The cement mills in the Stonetown require 100,000 tons of coal every year.
This would be shipped from Port Stanley to St. Marys direct. Then these mills would send 100,000 tons of cement to London in the course of a year. Here is initial business which would be capable of larger development.”