10 years ago — 2001
The commitment made by the St. Marys Horticulture Society of $2,500 to plant trees on the Grand Trunk Trail has been fulfilled. The trees are in the Ingersoll Street area of the Trail and are indigenous to the area. There are some hardwoods, some evergreens and some native bushes.
Cascade Dry Cleaners has been serving St. Marys and area for 55 years. Stan Culbert has been with the business for 53 of those years. He bought the business in 1940. Marlene Forman has 37 years experience and has been Culbert’s business partner since 1981.
On Sept. 11, 2001, a tragedy occurred that will forever change the lives of countless families and citizens in the city of New York and the citizens of the USA and worldwide. It is estimated that 343 firefighters gave their lives to protect others. The local St. Marys Fire Department led a fundraising campaign for the “Fallen Heroes Fund” and, to date, over $8,000 has been donated. Other fire departments in Perth are also involved in the campaign.
25 years ago — 1986
The life-long community involvement of Art and Dot Fort in St. Marys and in other centres, was recognizing recently when they became the 1985 recipients of the PARQ Volunteer of the Year Award. Mrs. Fort was instrumental in organizing the St. Marys Little Theatre Players.
St. Marys firefighters are waiting for toys you no longer need at your house. As they have done for the last few years, the firefighters will store used toys at the fire hall and take care of the minor repairs and spruce up where maybe required.
The official opening of the expansion of the Health Care facilities on the third floor of Hillside Nursing Home took place recently. The home is a 90-bed facility, having started 32 years ago with one resident and one staff member. (Avonton News)
50 years ago — 1961
We See: THAT security regulations are in the process of being “tightened up” at the local Cement Plant. A set of heavy gates has been installed and it is believed that a considerable area will be protected by fencing.
The new Toronto Dominion Bank branch office at Kirkton is now open for business each Tuesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The bank is situated at the corner of Highway 23 and the 4th Line of Blanshard, in the village of Kirkton. An old store was converted to banking facilities.
The 50th annual bazaar and supper of the St. Thomas Anglican Church was held recently. The first bazaar of the Anglican Church was held in Harmony House, which in its day was located on the property now owned by Mrs. H. Cown. (Prospect Hill)
75 years ago — 1936
Trustee Charles E. Whelihan, who sat on the Collegiate Institute Board for 32 years, has resigned. Mr. Whelihan has suffered from ill health the past year and seeks to lighten the pressure of duties.
The Ontario Employment Bureau last week had a request for four fully experienced coopers to make whiskey barrels. There used to be many experienced barrel makers in St. Marys. (Newsy Happenings)
Stratford has a population of over 17,000 but, because it is a railway city, there are only 654 qualified jurors in that city, compared to 497 in the Town of St. Marys. Railway employees are exempted from jury duty.
100 years ago — 1911
From Town Council: Mr. W. Weir, representing the Water and Light Board, advocated an All-Night Lighting service. The public, he claimed, should get the benefit of the cheap power now on hand. Three passenger trains arrived during the unlighted hours. It was not only an inconvenience but was not good publicity for the town.
Private Christmas Greeting Cards are now quite the proper thing. We will be pleased to show you a sample book of strictly Canadian, or with an English line. We would advise early orders to ensure prompt delivery. Reesor’s Book Store.
At the regular meeting in the IOF Hall, the St. Marys Carpet Ball League elected the following officers: President Wm. Andrews, Sr.; Vice President Harry Gray; Secretary Wm. Kappler. There will be eight teams playing in the League this season.
A month or two ago, there were 18 auto owners in St. Marys, probably more at that time than any other town of this size throughout the country. Today, there are 25 — the latest purchased by Mr. Wm. Andrews, who has purchased a Chalmers car.