Ten Years Ago
A $5 million filter system to help alleviate dust emission at St. Marys Cement should be installed by next spring. Production superintendent Barry Hilchey says the new 'baghouse' will be installed during the annual hiatus early in 1996.
Roll Call was memories of the old-fashioned telephone at the Lakeside WI meeting at Lakeside United. Perry Robinson, Board Chairperson of Quadro Communication Co-operative was guest speaker and he outlined the history of the phone systems in our area. Most community phone systems were started by the local doctor or veterinarian; this was necessary because Bell was not interested in supplying phones to rural areas. The first systems were very primitive, land owners were asked to put their land up as collateral, so they could borrow money to upgrade the system. No land owner ever had to pay off any debenture. Quadro is a leader in the latest technology.
25 Years Ago – 1980
We See – That Alex Pickering is giving up the RR 2, Lakeside postal route after 51 years of service. The route will be taken over by his son Leonard and daughter-in-law June.
Four eight-week old puppies from Linden Dogs for the Blind of Rochester have arrived in St. Marys and are being placed in Canada to be raised by local families. The puppies came via the efforts of the St. Marys Lions Club. This is the first time the American-based organization has allowed its dogs to be raised in Canada. The local people who will look after the dogs for a year before they return to Linden Dog for training are: Dwayne Thirkettle, Bill Scott, Scott Richardson and Kelly Cookson.
50 Years Ago
We See – That work of removing the present buildings from the site of the new St. Marys Federal Building on Wellington Street is expected to commence next week. The new building accommodation will be used as follows; The basement level will be divided into storage units for the post office, Unemployment Insurance Commission, the Public Works Department and the customs branch of the Revenue Department. The ground floor will be given over entirely to the Post Office Department while the second floor will house the Unemployment Insurance Commission and Customs Office.
Town Council news: Coun. Murray read a motion by himself and Coun. McKenny authorizing the clerk to take up the option on seven and a half acres of land, covered in a registered agreement signed the 16th of June 1941 between the town and the late John Leggs. The lands are immediately west of the Town Cemetery and now belong to Herb Sparling's farm.
One of the most modest, and yet most highly decorated veterans in this district, of the First World War passed away at Westminster Hospital, in London, in the person of Cecil M. Fulcher, Military Medal and bar, Distinguished Conduct Medal, Croix de Guerre and with a mention in dispatches. Cecil Fulcher had a distinguished career as a volunteer in World War I. He enlisted in the 110th Perth County Regiment at St. Marys in 1916 and proceeded to England with that unit where the battalion was later broken up for re-inforcement purpose. Mr. Fulcher went to the 58th Battalion C.E.F. in France and in the subsequent fighting on the Somme, at Vimy Ridge and Passchendael.
75 years ago – 1930
In several weeks Dougherty and Co., contractor, have been engaged in the construction of four concrete coal towers near the C.N.R., siding on King Street for W.C. Kidd, local coal and fuel dealer. The work has progressed to the point where only the elevating machinery remains to be installed. When completed Mr. Kidd will have an up-to-date coal storage plant of fireproof construction and weather proof as well. The new storage bins are built upon the site of the old wooden shed.
A Nissouri farmer complained rather strongly in last week's paper regarding the condition of Water Street South. It is a thorough fair largely used by farmers driving into town and its condition at the present time is surely not good. The fact of the matter, that with the present heavy traffic it is a hard proposition to keep the roadway in good shape. The town council is not unmindful of the condition of the street and is endeavouring to lay a good foundation for the future by starting to pave it. Two blocks are being paved this fall and if the class of pavement used proves a success, the idea is to extend the pavement further from year to year. (Editorial)
Prospect Hill Women's Institute Report. The large tent which bore the sign 'Prospect Hill W.I.' at the recent plowing match had large tables inside with abundant supplies for the hungry, and it was were patronized by the public as was shown by the returns, which accounted to about $900. After taking out expenses, the balance will be applied to the building funds. Great credit is due to all who so faithfully and willingly helped with the work.
Charles E. Richardson, prominent manufacturer and ex-mayor of St. Marys is the new member of the Legislature for South Perth to fill the vacancy caused by the death of David Bonis, M.P.P. In his home town of St. Marys he rolled up a Record for Home Town Candidate. His opponent, George S. Keith, ex-Warden of Perth, secured his strongest support in the townships, leading four out of five. The by-election was held on October 29.
100 years Ago
Wanted – Tenders for the erection of a new Methodist Church in the village of Woodham, in 1906, will be received until Nov. 27, 1905. Plans and specifications may be seen at the parsonage, Woodham. Contractors will please call in the forenoons, unless they notify otherwise by card. L. Bartlett, Pastor.
Doctor and Mrs. Ferguson who are leaving the village of Kirkton were remembered by their friends. Addresses and presentations to the popular doctor and his wife were made by the Presbyterian Church; W.F.M.S., the Foresters Lodge and Kirkton Telephone Company. Dr. Campbell has bought the practice from Dr. Ferguson.
New Station in St. Marys – Dame Rumour says so but there is no definite information yet: No communication has been received as yet from the G.T.R. by the town officials as regard to the rumoured application for closing of streets by the Grand Trunk in connection with the building of a new town station.
125 years Ago
The members of Victor Lodge I.O.O.F., have been fitting up for lodge purposes a new hall in Hutton's block. It has been fitted up with taste and the lodge will hold its first meeting there tomorrow (Friday) evening. Until the Oddfellows' new block was erected by St. Marys Lodge No. 36, Victor occupied the same hall in the old lodge.