10 years ago — 1997
The St. Marys Friendship Centre, in Cadzow Park, is undergoing a metamorphosis. The west wall of the seniors building on Park Street is being transformed and this may just be the beginning. St. Marys residents Rob and Sylvia Smink thought of the idea during a visit to Cadzow Park.
Stonetown Cooperative Homes now renting spacious 2 and 3 bedroom townhouses with or without garages. Country setting, but within walking distance to shopping. No rent increase in last four years.
25 years ago — 1982
We See – That the Creamery Country Restaurant opened on schedule at the weekend and many area people patronized the new restaurant and pub.
It was June 9, 1939, recalls Walter Cull, that King George VI and his Queen Elizabeth passed through St. Marys Junction westbound on their cross- Canada tour by train. No royal appearance was scheduled for our community and plans were afoot to transport all the local children to Stratford where stands were erected along the tracks. It was known the train was to stop for water at St. Marys Junction but no assurance could be obtained from the authorities (royal or rail) that the royal couple would appear here. The committee decided to go ahead with plans. The parade to the Junction was the big thing. It started from the town hall and proceeded onward to where the tracks crossed James Street. Here, and with some trepidation the column took to the track. Right on the dot, the royal train steamed to its stop. Would the royal couple show or not? After an interminable wait of a minute or so, the door opened proving that the committee's gamble was about to pay off. And there they were — our reigning monarchs in living colour before our very eyes.
50 years ago — 1957
The Diesel that has been used on the CPR recently has caused a few comments from the people. First, it is very different in appearance from old coal burning engines, secondly, there is no smoke spire or trail to be seen as it travels its way into St. Marys or out. But the whistle is so different. It reminds one of a pipe organ when it isn't functioning properly and squeaks, or in other words, our CPR engine whistles as if it had laryngitis.
Is the Highway building at the upper end of No. 100 highway built inside out? This building which was erected over a year ago has the studding all on the outside and the siding on the inside. It was thought that it would eventually be sided with steel — but the building has been painted and it looks as if the carpenters had built it inside out — or outside in. (Both items from the Uniondale Correspondent)
75 years ago — 1932
A transformation has been wrought in St. Marys gardens the past few years. Where there was formerly one beautiful garden on a street, there are now half a dozen. To the Horticultural Society a good deal of the credit is due for encouraging that good work.
Many citizens were somewhat disturbed on reading in last week's paper than an exhibition match had been staged at the golf course on Sunday with a large gallery present. On making enquires from the management of the Golf Course, we learned that it is not their intention to permit the repetition of such a thing such a practice would put Sunday golf on the same basis as ordinary athletic matches which are not permitted on Sunday.
100 years ago — 1907
Did you Get Your House Photographed? As we intend leaving St. Marys at the earliest possible date we strongly advise our customers to order all the pictures they want without any further delay as we cannot guarantee that the negatives will not be broken in moving. Address all orders to Carter and Isaac, St. Marys.
Four rinks of St. Marys bowlers visited Motherwell on Friday and played a couple of games with the locals. The afternoon games resulted in a victory for the home team. The evening game resulted in a win for St. Marys. (Motherwell)
The ladies Aid of Zion Methodist Church met at the home of Mrs. G. Beatley and engaged in work for the Deaconesses' Home, Toronto. A letter was received from Miss Scott thanking them for their donation of children's dresses for the Fresh Air outing. (Rannoch)
The Journal got word that a human skeleton has been unearthed in the excavation at the Grand Trunk cut, a mile south of the town, near the Horse Shoe Quarries, where a number of teams are engaged in making a subway for the new St. Marys & Western Ontario Railway. Few of the men employed in teaming knew very much about the matter. At least one man had seen the bones.
125 years ago — 1882
Mr. Graham's new house is now about finished, and when completed will be quite an acquisition to the town line. (Anderson)
For Sale- 9 acres of good land, about half a mile from the St. Marys Station. There is a good Frame House, containing seven rooms and a stone cellar, on the land which is well fenced and abundantly supplied with spring water. Apply Mrs. Henry Apted.
Arrived — Robert Eaton, has imported direct from Europe. The largest and cheapest stock of China ever imported by him.