• Print
  • email
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
bowling DSC_0272
Bowl for Kids gets off to phenomenal start

By Dan McNee
For the Enterprse News

The North Wellington Big Brothers and Sisters organization has indeed upheld its reputation as one of the top dollar raisers in Ontario, bringing in $14,316 during its first weekend of the annual Bowl for Kids campaign.

205 bowlers comprising 40 teams converged on the Mount Forest Bowling Centre on Feb. 10 to show their support for the cause, with organizers setting the 2013 goal at $60,000.

Executive Director Marnie Mainland is confident that number will be reached over the next three weeks.

“We do it every year and it’s pretty exciting,” she said. “It’s our biggest fundraiser.”

As Big Brothers and Sisters is celebrating its 100th year of existence, the North Wellington organization has been running the Bowl for Kids event for 26 of them. Last year Mainland and her devoted volunteers brought in $62,000, while 2013 marks her last as executive director.

“This organization is going to miss her,” said Chair Bill Lawless.

Local dignitaries were also on hand to help kickoff the campaign, including Perth-Wellington MPP Randy Pettapiece, Mapleton-Minto Mayor George Bridge and North Wellington Mayor Ray Tout.

“In the political lanes you’ll see mostly strikes today, because we’re all such straight shooters,” laughed Tout prior to taking part in the kickoff roll.

Since the Bowl for Kids inaugural event, North Wellington has raised the most dollars per capita in Ontario, an impressive feat that Mainland and her fellow organizers are very proud of. By the time this year’s event has run its course, well over 100 teams of bowlers will have taken part over the three-week span.

“We get the whole community behind us and they do get behind us,” said Mainland. “It’s just amazing.”

Comments are closed.

Local Ads
HomeFinder.caWheels.caOurFaves.caLocalWork.caGottaRent.ca