Lizard's heat lamp sparks smoky fire
|
Bookmark and Share
Feb 10, 2017  |  Vote 0    0

Lizard's heat lamp sparks smoky fire

Erin Advocate

Just after 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 7, Erin, Hillsburgh and Rockwood firefighters responded to a house fire at 157 Daniel St in Erin.

The homeowner had returned that day to find the entire home engulfed in thick smoke. They called 911 and managed to rescue four dogs and a bearded dragon lizard from the home.

Fire Chief Dan Callaghan coordinated firefighters as they extinguished spot fires and cleared the home of smoke. He said the home did have working smoke alarms.

The water and hydro were turned off to eliminate any additional damage to the home.

Homeowner Tracey Wallace, owner of AAA Events, said the smoke damage is extensive but she is happy that all the family members, including the animals are safe. She thanked her neighbours, who arrived quickly to offer their help.

Chief Callaghan said the cause of the fire was a heat lamp that was used on a lizard’s aquarium that had been knocked to the floor and started burning the carpet.

He estimated the cost of the damage at $20,000.

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

Latest Local News

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More