Fire destroys horse barn on Highway 89 west of...
Bookmark and Share
Jan 15, 2016  |  Vote 0    0

Fire destroys horse barn on Highway 89 west of Mount Forest

Mount Forest Confederate

For the second time in a matter of weeks, fire has destroyed a horse barn in Wellington County.

Mount Forest firefighters were paged at 10:07 p.m. on Thursday night to respond to a horse fire at 6884 Highway 89, just west of Sligo Road.

The barn is a privately owned farm that boards horses.

Upon arrival, firefighters found the barn completely engulfed in flames.

Six stations responded to the fire: Mount Forest, Arthur, Ayton, Durham, Harriston and Clifford.

Due to the quick work of the firefighters, they were able to keep the fire from spreading to the horse located near the barn.

Wellington North fire chief Dave Guilbault told the Confederate that there has been no confirmation as to how many horses were in the barn at the time of the fire.

“We don’t know for sure, but we do know that there was at least a dozen horses in the barn,” he said. “One horse for sure made it out of the barn, but we have also heard that there were two that made it out. We don’t know for sure at this time.”

It is also unknown what the breeds of the horses were, or the value of the horses.

One person was transported to hospital as a result of the fire. As of 1:30 a.m. no firefighters had been injured.

“One person went as a precaution due to smoke inhalation and anxiety,” said Guilbault.

The cause of the fire is not known at this time.

“We have heard that a tractor in the barn caught fire,” said Guilbault. “However, we have not had a chance to confirm that yet.”

As of 1:30 a.m. Friday morning, Guilbault was expecting the firefighters to be on scene for most of the day Friday.

“We will be putting water on the barn for a few more hours yet,” he said. “Then we will leave a fire watch crew here overnight, and be back again today to finish up.”

“I can’t say enough good things about how the firefighters have worked together here tonight,” he said. “Everything has gone about as smoothly as it can go, everyone has worked together extremely well, and we were able to control the fire. Great teamwork by everyone involved.”

The Ontario Fire Marshal’s office has been called, but Guilbault was not expecting them to arrive until later in the day.

The Confederate will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

In Your Neighbourhood Today