Arthur Atom Rep Vipers kick off the season
Bookmark and Share
Oct 18, 2012  |  Vote 0    0

Arthur Atom Rep Vipers kick off the season

Arthur Enterprise News

Submitted by Jon Fleet

For the Enterprise News

The Arthur Atom Rep Vipers kicked off their regular season in Elmira against Woolwich September 23. Woolwich opened the scoring with a goal midway through the first period but with nine seconds remaining in the first period Arthur Scored to tie the game with a goal from Dylan Richardson assisted by Aiden McDougall and Aiden Barrina. It was an exciting first game with both Aiden Barrina and Julian Austin playing solid in goal. The result was a 1-1 tie.

Our second game of the season was Arthur’s home opener September 28 against Erin Hillsburgh. Arthur dominated the first two periods. Arthur opened the scoring in the first period with a goal from Ben Little assisted by Richardson. Before the first period was over Richardson scored an unassisted goal to close out the first period ahead 2-0. The second period was a scoreless one due to some great goaltending by the Vipers goalies. Arthur scored early in the third with a goal from Richardson assisted by Zach Drake to make the score 3-0. Erin Hillsburgh sprung to life with three unanswered goals to tie the game 3-3. The game ended in a 3-3 tie.

We traveled to Acton September 30 where we were outplayed by a tough Acton Tanners team. Acton opened the scoring with a goal in the first period but before the period was out Arthur tied it up with a goal from Cooper Fleet assisted by Erin Rooney and McDougall. The second period saw Acton score two more goals before Arthur hit the scoreboard again with a goal from McDougall assisted by Richardson and Ben Saunders. Acton scored one unanswered goal in the third giving Acton the 4-2 victory.

We were back in town for a rematch against Acton October 5. The team played a more aggressive game keeping it close into the final seconds of the game. Acton opened the scoring in the first period but before the period was out Arthur was on the board with an unassisted goal by Ryan Goetz. Acton took a 3-1 lead in the second period with two unanswered goals. The third period started with a goal from Richardson assisted by Jabe Verbeek. This was immediately followed by another goal from Drake assisted by Goetz tying the game 3-3. Acton responded with three consecutive goals before Richardson put the puck in the net assisted by Rooney. After six solid minutes of hockey Richardson proceeded to put the puck in the net again assisted by McDougall for the hat trick. Arthur continued to play hard but Acton scored one final goal to give Acton the 7-5 victory.

On October 12 the New Hamburg Huskies were in town. Arthur dominated the New Hamburg squad right from the drop of the puck. The entire team played their positions well and both Barrina and Austin played solid in net. Goetz opened the scoring in the first period with a goal assisted by Saunders. The second period saw the Vipers score five unanswered goals. Richardson scored assisted by Verbeek, McDougall scored assisted by Richardson and Fleet, Richardson scored assisted by Fleet and Rooney, Cameron Deforest scored assisted by Isaac Major and Richardson, and McDougall scored assisted by Richardson and Rooney. The Vipers continued the scoring in the third period with a goal by Rooney assisted by Fleet. Richardson scored his second hat trick of the season with a goal assisted by McDougall and Rooney. McDougall scored the final goal of the game and his first hat trick of the year assisted by Richardson and Fleet. The final score ended up 9-0. Congratulations to Barrina and Austin on their first shutout! Keep working hard boys!

Home tournament

On Sunday, October 14 the Arthur Atom Rep Vipers won the Consolation final in their home tournament.

Arthur started the day with a tough 8-0 loss against a fast skating Flesherton team.

The Vipers shook off their first loss in their second game against the New Hamburg Huskies. In the first period Arthur opened the scoring with an unassisted goal from Richardson. The goals kept coming in the first period. Fleet scored assisted by Goetz, Major scored assisted by Goetz, and Deforest scored assisted by Goetz and Major. Before the period was out New Hamburg put a puck in the net making the score 4-1. The second period saw New Hamburg score a lone goal to make the score 4-2. In the third period Goetz opened the scoring with a goal assisted by Saunders. Arthur held New Hamburg to just one more goal to capture the 5-3 win to go on to the consolation final.

Arthur played the consolation final against the Saugeen Shores Storm. Arthur scored three unanswered goals in the first period. Deforest opened the scoring with a goal assisted by Major and Verbeek, Richardson scored an unassisted goal, Deforest scored assisted by Goetz. The second period saw only one goal scored by Arthur which was scored by Goetz assisted by McDougall. Arthur went into the third period with a 4-0 lead. In the third period Arthur scored two more goals. Goetz scored an unassisted goal and Rooney wrapped it all up with a goal assisted by McDougall.

The team played extremely hard all day. Their positional play is improving every game. Barrina and Austin played real hard all day splitting the time between the pipes in each game. Congratulations on your second shutout of the year.

Congratulation Vipers on your Consolation Final win! Congratulations to Flesherton for winning the Championship.

Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

Latest Local News


Police seek snakes stolen from Ontario home

A number of snakes, including poisonous breeds, stolen from Ontario home



North Huron intersection to receive $60,000 in upgrades

The intersection of London Road and Josephine Street at the north end of Wingham is to receive...


In Your Neighbourhood Today